Upland Hunting Trip Planner
A Trip to Weatherby’s in the wilds of Maine is quite an undertaking for most folks. Bringing the proper gear and clothing is crucial to enjoying your vacation, no matter where it may be. Here you will find a personal gear list for upland hunting. Weather changes quickly in Maine and you are better off bringing extra warm clothes and not needing them, than not having them to put on. Rain gear is a must, both jacket and pants! For your convenience, we offer both spinning rods and fly rods and waders at no charge, as we can fish until October 20th. Many of our guests will ship hunting equipment and gear ahead of time via UPS or Fed Ex. This is a great way to travel light through the airports and minimizes the risk of losing luggage with the airlines.
Upland Hunting Gear List
- BOOTS! Good ones – two pair. They do not need to be insulated for October hunting. I like one pair leather and one pair rubber for wet conditions. Make sure you can walk in them without getting blisters.
- light weight upland pants or chaps
- mid-weight long underwear bottoms
- good wool socks (smartwool or similar)
- mid-weight long underwear top
- wool, flannel, chamois shirt, long sleeve
- field coat
- rain coat
- rain pants (old waders make good upland overalls if you cut off the feet)
- hunter orange cap
- hunter orange vest
- leather shooting gloves or similar
- shotgun of choice with shells
If you bring a dog:
- first aid
- grooming implements
- bell or electronic collar with charger
- dog bed
Dogs are welcome in the cabins for no extra charge, but we request that you crate them during meals and keep them off the furniture.
Shipping to Weatherby’s
Spinning and fly rods and waders are available at camp for your use. You are welcome to ship any gear ahead via Fed Ex or UPS. Note that Fed Ex does not deliver ground packages in a timely fashion. We recommend expedited shipping via either carrier if timing is tight.
112 Milford Road
Grand Lake Stream, ME 04668
Some of the above items are available in our Pro Shop or at the Pine Tree Store in town. Call for specifics.